Fixing the lag with TCPOptimizer

Formerly stickied threads

Moderator: Naxos

Fixing the lag with TCPOptimizer

Postby Arianamue » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:52 am

Note: This is working for WindowsXP (prof.). Whether it works on other windowses or not, I can't guarantee. Any feedback is appreciated.

• Get TCPOptimizer
  • No install needed. Just run it from wherever you saved it on your Harddrive.
  • Whatever changes you aplly, create a backup. (TCPO does that for you normally.)
  • Check the option "Enable Registry Editor" in Preferences.
  • Main Window: Tab "General settings":
    • Put the "Connection Speed" slider to (at least) 10Mbps. (if it's already higher leave it alone)
    • Select the Network adapter used for your internet connection. (should be selected already)
    • "Choose Settings" (at the bottom of the window) set to "Custom" so you can edit at all.
    • If you have Skill-Lag (skill icons staying gray for some time instead loading a skill) set the "MTU" to something lower than 1500.
      (768 removed the Skill-Lag completely for me but caused the movement to "stutter". 1024 removed the "stutter" but slowed down skill loading slightly. The skill slowdown however is almost not noticeable)
      Stick to values multiple to 256 since that is some kind of "magic" number for computers. For fibre lines (Gigabit connections) you may try lower values (multiple to 16) but I don't recommend it because packet loss makes your connection very unstable since a lost packet will render a large amount of transferred packets useless (see EXPLANATION below).
    • Set the "TTL" to 32 or to counter packet loss to 64
    • "TCP 1323 Options" check "Window Scaling"
  • Main Window Tab "Advanced Settings"
    • "Choose Settings" (at the bottom of the window) set to "Custom" so you can edit at all.
    • Leave everything alone except the "Gaming Tweaks" section. This is to disable Nagle.
    • set "TCPAckFrequency" to enabled 1
    • set "TCPNoDelay" to enabled 1
    • set "TCPDelAckTicks" to default n/a
    • Click "Apply Changes"
    • If asked to reboot, choose "Yes"

EXPLANATION

MTU, Maximum Transmission Unit means the size of your transferred packets. Data sent via networks is cut into small pieces (bits/bytes) and packed into...well...indexed packets. To restore the data the recieving host needs all packets. If one is missing it is requested to be send again.
Nagle
The recieving host sends an ACKnowledgement each time a packet arrives. Nagle algorithm makes your computer double check for those "Acks". You can imagine that such feedback causes much more data traffic on your line because it is sent in packets too. Disabling the doublechecking reduces the traffic drastically.
MTU lowering
The faster your line the smaller the possible packet size.
Big MTU tries to reduce traffic by sending as much data at once as possible, so that a slow transfer is compensated by large amounts of data arriving at a time. (like a containership bringing a huge load at once but traveling ratherr long)
Smaller MTU tries to reduce congestion and "traffic jam" by sending smaller chunks of data but much faster. (like an Amada of trucks delivering a constant flow of goods)
The picture I gave Naxos:
If you imagine the network line as a tube and the data as potatoes, a big potatoe might get stuck and jam all the others. Cutting the potatoes into pieces makes them go through more smoothly. Making the pieces too small however will put a lot of work on the reciever to put them together again. And if only one piece gets missing the Potatoe can't be restored.
The trick is to find the balance between both approaches. Send as much at once as possible without risking a "jam".

EDIT:
Useful Link:
http://mabinogi.wikia.com/wiki/Lag
Arianamue
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:30 am
IGN (InGameName): Arianamue
living in: Europe (CET+-)

Re: Fixing the lag with TCPOptimizer

Postby Arianamue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Update:
The procedure above works on Windows7 as well.
Here is a useful link to do a backward traceroute (basically speedcheck) from Stanford Univesity in California:
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/nph-traceroute.pl
Arianamue
Site Admin

IGN (InGameName): Arianamue
living in: Europe (CET+-)

Re: Fixing the lag with TCPOptimizer

Postby mystgun » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 pm

i think i understood the potatoe image. except one thing... WHY A POTATOE? (please treat that as one of my "retoric" questions)
mystgun
Guild Member

IGN (InGameName):

Return to Guides and Tips